2016 was quite the year. Lots of crazy changes in our world and transitions and growth in my own. I’m sitting at my desk with my last shake of the year and the sound of the laundry going in the background. It’s crazy how this year feels like it took foreverrrrr, but also went by in a blink. That seems to be how a lot of things feel lately…
As I’m preparing for a new year, I’ve been taking some time to think through the last 366 days. I’ve learned (and relearned) lessons that I want to share with you.
- I am capable of way more than I thought! My only limitations are the ones I’ve set for myself and it’s pretty cool to see what happens when I push past them.
- It’s totally okay (and needed) to take a break and breathe for a bit. I’m not expected to do everything. There are times of hustle and times of rest. I can’t miss out on the latter.
- Nothing good grows in a comfort zone. It’s a nice, warm place to be, but I can’t spend my whole life there. I already know what’s happening there and I want more.
- Always seek the good – it’s there if I take the time to look. There’s usually more than meets the eye. I shouldn’t let bad and negativity overcome.
- Relationships are the most important and should be invested in. It’s the people in my life that really make it amazing and fruitful. Relationships deserve the time and energy to be poured into and cultivated.
- More stuff doesn’t mean more happiness. It usually just leads to clutter and stress. I’m not defined by my stuff and what I have doesn’t make me any better of a person. Things are nice, but they’re not everything.
- I create my own light and it’s a gift to share. It’s up to me to shine.
- Memories should be made whenever possible! If you’re faced with an opportunity to try something new or unique – say yes! Make memories and have fun doing it!
- I have everything within me to be successful – I just have to act and trust. I am more than enough and I’ll be able to achieve anything I set my intentions to if I put in the work.
- Honesty and kindness will always win. I’ll do much more good and get farther being honest and kind than trying to take the shortcuts.
- There is always more to learn. Contrary to what I thought growing up, I don’t know everything. Not even close. Listen and absorb. Always be a student.
- People just want to be seen and heard. Be the one that takes notice. As the Golden Rule says: treat others the way you want to be treated. No matter who they are- notice them.
- Celebrate every win – big and small! The wins add up! I may be discouraged or feel stuck in the moment, but it’s temporary. There’s a win right on the other side. And maybe that win is just learning a lesson from “failing.”
- I can plan, but I need to flexible. I’ve always loved planning and knowing what’s next, but that isn’t always possible. And even when I think I know, things can change in a moment. I need to be flexible and quick on my feet.
- The work is worth the effort – go for it! Hard work is worth it. The things I’m most proud of are the things that have required determination, persistence, and patience. They haven’t come easy, but that’s what makes them so special.
- Love yourself most. Not in a selfish or narcissistic way. But in a way that allows you to show up in the world and be your best self. I will take good care of myself – physically, mentally, and emotionally.
I am so thankful for all that I experienced in 2016 and I know the best is yet to come!
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us. –Ephesians 3:20
2017, I’m ready for you!