Raise your hand if January felt like the longest month *raises both hands*
It was one of those funky months for me where it felt incredibly long and short at the same time. You know what I mean? New Years Eve celebrations seem like forever ago, but it’s also crazy that 1/12 of 2018 is complete. Time flies!
We had the holiday season that just felt like a black hole of time (what day is it? where am I? what do I need to do?) And then we were thrown into the new year and expected to have it all together. Well, no worries. None of us have it all together. Nobody is perfect, but we can set intentions and do our best. So what happened in January??
- Celebrate 26th birthday — We celebrated and it was so much fun! I’m so grateful for another year and for being able to celebrate with friends and family. 26 is gonna be a good one!
- Plan & prepare for small group — Check! Kelly and I worked hard planning and preparing for our small group launch. It was a fun and challenging process, but was so wonderful with a friend by my side.
- Small Group launch! — This went so well!! I’m thrilled about the amazing couples that were able to join us for our launch meeting and for the couples that will join us in the future. God has big plans for this group! We are building a community for young married couples (and soon to be married couples!) that is so needed in our area.
- Planning meeting with Eric (budget/schedule) — This was a monthly goal that we realized needed to be a weekly goal. So much can change day to day, so we decided to make Sunday our meeting day to go over any budget and schedule items. It’s been helpful to keep each other on the same page.
- Gather Whole30 information — Done. I was overwhelmed to think about starting the Whole30, but the more I gathered and understood, the less intimidating it became. I also followed some Whole30 accounts and found other helpful resources to assist and inspire me.
- List of 10 books to read in 2018 — Check! My list of 10 are: A Simplified Life by Emily Ley, The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor, The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell, The Blessed Life by Robert Morris, Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, You are a Badass at Making Money by Jen Sincero, Developing the Leader Within You by John Maxwell, The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod, Successful Women Think Differently by Valorie Burton, and Can I have and do it all please? by Christine Caine. “You will be the same person in 5 years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.”
- Add $4,000 to our savings — We didn’t hit $4,000 (which really was a stretch goal to begin with), but we did add $2,000 to our savings. Progress yall! While it bummed me out to miss our goal, I’m happy we took steps in the right direction and have a plan for February.
- Plan upcoming blog content — Done! I love writing and sharing blog content and it’s super helpful for me to know ahead of time what I’ll be sharing so I can be sure to have a good mix of content and have whatever I need ready (images, IG post to share, etc). It also cuts out on that time of “ummm what do I post??” which leads to more focused time and fun in the process.
- Read A Simplified Life by Emily Ley — Check. This book was SO good! I could barely put it down. I love Emily Ley’s style and her outlook on life. This book was just as beautiful as it was practical. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, overcluttered, overworked grab this book and utilize the tips that work for you. It doesn’t have to feel that way, friend.
- Love check in with Eric — Every week I like to ask 2 questions that I got from someone else (wish I remembered who… I’m sorry)! #1- how did I love you well this past week? #2- how can I love you better this week? It’s a bit cheesy and I felt weird asking at first, but it’s a really great way to open up the conversation to see where I’m doing well in our marriage and where I can improve. We aren’t mind readers, so we need to ask the questions to help our relationship flourish.
- Unplugged date with Eric — I love doing this! I crossed out week 5 since it was only 3 days, but it was a fun thing to do. I think the unplugged part is important. How many times are you together with someone, but both of you are off in your different words because your phones are in between? I’m certainly guilty, so I have to be intentional. We’re trying to save money, so these dates were at home cooking dinner together, playing card games, doing a puzzle, or a dinner out with coupons. You don’t have to spend a lot of money (or any money a lot of the time!) to enjoy quality time together.
- Learn about & use essential oils — This has been a new world for me and I’m enjoying it! I’m learning more about when to use different oils, what diffuser/roller combos I like, and how to incorporate them more into my daily life. I’m working on transitioning our products to non-toxic, so it’s helpful to have these powerful, but healthy oils.
- Blog post — I had a lot to share in January and I loved it! Thank you to those of you that read my posts, I really appreciate your support! I will continue to post on Wednesdays + any additional days as needed 🙂
- Increase IG followers — This was a tricky one to track since I wasn’t always good about looking at the number each week. I also realized I don’t want just an increase in followers, but I’d rather have people that genuinely enjoy my posts and follow for that reason. I don’t use any “bots” or pay services because I want an authentic platform, so the growth may be slower, but it’ll be steady and true. It’s not all about that number next to your handle.
- Plan week ahead in Simplified Planner — I’m loving my planner and it’s been super helpful to keep me organized as I wrote about in my January Favorites post. At the beginning of the week I add in anything I already know ahead of time: meetings, appointments, which community I’m working in, Pure Barre classes, etc. Then I’ll add for each day as I go or as things come up. It’s been working well for me!
- Read/pray through the Bible — Achieved 31/31 days
- Active body — Achieved 29/31 days
- Meditate — Achieved 30/31 days
- No phone in bedroom — Achieved 28/31 days
- Get fully ready — Achieved 27/31 days
I’m proud of myself for sticking to these daily goals! They weren’t especially challenging, but they were meaningful to me and I had to push myself a bit harder to make sure my day encompassed these items.
I’ve been doing the Bible in One Year plan on the Bible app – it has a feature where it’ll read the devotion and the verses to you, so I usually do that while I’m waking up and getting ready. It’s helpful to be able to hear it and read along. I was doing at home workouts and recently I’ve gotten back into Pure Barre classes, which I’m loving! Meditation with my Simple Habit app is wonderful! I went ahead and purchased the year membership and it’s nice to have access to so many 5 minute meditations. Getting fully ready may sound like a strange goal, but I had gotten pretty lazy when it came to getting ready, so it’s a habit I’m trying to change. I feel good when I look good!
No phone in the bedroom deserves it’s own post, so that’ll be coming soon 😉
- Complete Emergency Fund (baby step #3)
- Read book #2
- Plan month’s blog content
- Prepare + file taxes
- Update 401k (baby step #4)
- Health appointments
- Be still + quiet
- Check in meeting with Eric
- Unplugged date
- Intentional Instagram
- Blog post
- Small Group
- Get ready fully
- Utilize essential oils
- Bible plan
- Active body
- No phone – bedroom
I’m excited for this month of love. And it’s a short month. And we’re that much closer to spring! Bring it on!! Have you made progress on any of your New Year Intentions? If not, it’s never too late to work on it. Don’t give up! If yes, keep going! Either way, I’m proud of you and know you’re capable of amazing things!